I, Lindsey Stallings of Stallings Advocacy, recognize the importance of client privacy and the sensitivity of the personal information that I may have. As a lawyer authorized to practice in Oregon and Washington, I have a professional and ethical obligation to keep confidential all information received within a lawyer-client relationship subject to the client’s instructions. Further, I am committed to safeguarding the personal information in my control concerning any individual.
Your Privacy Rights
Stallings Advocacy manages your personal information and will comply with federal privacy law, as required.
I collect personal information for the purposes of serving the legal and related needs of clients. Stallings Advocacy requires information to:
- Understand, access, and assist you with your ongoing legal needs;
- Ensure information is accurate and up to date; and
- Collect information on you and other individuals for the purposes of providing legal services.
Personal information is any information that identifies you. I follow reasonable and prudent business practices to collect, use and disclose your personal information for the purpose of providing you with legal services.
I collect information only by lawful and fair means. When I make directed individual requests for your relevant sensitive personal information from a business, such as medical professionals or financial institutions, I will obtain your written consent. Wherever possible, I collect your personal information directly from you. I may ask you for your consent, at the start of a retainer and during representation. Your consent may be in writing, verbal or implied as necessary to further your legal needs.
Dependent on the legal services provided, with your consent, I may obtain this relevant information from:
- Medical professionals;
- Public registries;
- Your employer; or
- Law enforcement
In some situations, I will require express consent in writing, by the provision of a letter, application form, electronic signature, or other document authorizing certain activities.
There are certain circumstances, as explained below, where I am required or permitted by law, to collect, use and disclose personal information without consent. I will handle all personal information confidentially and will substantiate the legal authority to collect, use and disclose personal information in these circumstances.
Under certain circumstances, I may disclose your personal information without your consent:
- When I am required or authorized by law to do so, for example if a court issues a subpoena;
- When the use of the information is necessary to respond to an emergency that threatens the life, health, or security of an individual or the public; or
- When it is necessary to establish or collect my fees.
I use your personal information to provide legal advice and services to you and to administer legal business incidental to providing legal services, such as client billing. Stallings Advocacy does not disclose or sell your personal information or business contact information to any third party to enable them to market their products and services.
When we release information about you, it is done to serve specific needs, while providing legal services. With your consent, we may provide information to:
- My staff and agents who use the information to for the reasonable business purpose of providing you with legal services;
- Professionals working with Stallings Advocacy such as investigators, paralegals, and experts.
To protect your personal information, I will:
- Not collect, use, or disclose your personal information for any purpose other than those I identify to you or are reasonably evident.
- Keep your personal information only for as long as needed it to fulfill the stated purpose or as required by law.
- Maintain your personal information in as accurate, complete and up to date a form as possible.
- Keep your personal information physically secure.
- Maintain technological safeguards such as passwords or encryption for your sensitive personal information.
You may request access to the personal information I have about you. The request must be in writing. I may charge a reasonable fee for retrieval and copying of your personal information. If the retrieval or copying or your request is extensive, I will notify you of the fee prior to retrieval and copying.
Changes to this Privacy Statement